Moxie’s Tankerman Training Courses
Our tankerman courses educate maritime personnel about the volatile or toxic vapors that can be released during tank barge transfer activities. Use Moxie’s tankerman training to keep your workers and the environment safe from these hazards today!
Need a USCG Vapor Control training course that meets Coast Guard requirements? This barge cargo vapor control course provides tankermen, maritime workers, and facility personnel with information that assists in fulfilling the U.S. Coast Guard requirements found in 46 CFR 39.1011. These USCG vapor control safety regulations apply to tank ships, tank barges, and transfer facilities that use vapor control systems (VCS) to collect and control cargo vapors emitted to or from a barge or vessel’s cargo tanks during transfers.
Our Vapor Control Tankerman Course Learning Outcomes
In this tankerman course, students will learn about the specific systems and tools used to eliminate toxic barge vapors. Our tankerman training prepares workers to:
- Understand the Tank Barge Vapor Control System and how it helps prevent harmful releases to the environment.
- Describe how a Barge Vapor Control System works.
- Identify the components of a Barge Vapor Control System.
- Discuss the hazards of transferring vapor controlled liquid cargo.
- Summarize the steps to be taken prior to and during the cargo transfer.
- Prioritize the actions necessary to carry out the cargo transfer.
- Point out the equipment and procedures necessary for a Vapor Balanced Cargo Transfer.
- Differentiate a Multi-Breasted Barge Vapor Controlled Transfer from a single barge transfer.
With Moxie’s tankerman course on barge cargo vapor control, your personnel will learn the systems and controls that are available to keep themselves, the environment and others safe from toxic vapors. Not only that, but they will know how to troubleshoot issues with this knowledge if they arise.
To help ensure the vapor control tankerman training course fosters a safer work environment, our LMS challenges the student after each module of the course. If a learner answers a question incorrectly, they are guided back to the relevant material in the course and can answer again, improving comprehension of the material.
Moxie’s Tankerman Vapor Control Transfer Course Topics
Want to learn more about this tankerman course? Take a look at the major sections of our tankerman training below:
Understanding the Process of Barge Cargo Vapor Control
Before workers learn about the system that eliminates the toxic vapor, it’s important to understand the process by which vapor can be created.
Marine vapor is created when the cargo liquid slowly fills the tank space during tank barge loading. The cargo vapor increases as liquid continues to fill the area, mixing with the tank’s existing atmosphere. The area becomes pressurized, and the vapor control system directs the vapor to a facility for vapor collection.
Without a functioning barge cargo vapor control system, the pressure can increase. This may cause vapor to be released from the cargo tank pressure vacuum relief valve into the air, resulting in damage to the environment and those close to the vapor. Worst-case scenario, this unchecked pressure can cause a tank to rupture.
To avoid these scenarios, workers must understand the systems that receive the vapor. When vapor arrives to the vapor collection facility, the vapor is eliminated in the following ways:
- Combustion: Vapors are flared or incinerated.
- Absorption: Vapors flow through activated carbon.
- Condensation: Vapors are changed back into liquid and stored in containment.
Understanding a Vapor Control System
Understanding the many elements that make up a VCS is critical for keeping the barge and its personnel safe. It’s also important for fulfilling USCG vapor course requirements.
Through Moxie’s tankerman training, workers will learn what each of these components do, how to know when something is not functioning properly, and what to do if something goes wrong.
All personnel on a barge will need to know the uses of basic tools, such as the closed tank gauging devices. Our tankerman training also makes it easy to learn about more complex tools, such as the PV Valve. This valve protects the cargo tank from excessive pressure, which can cause more severe impacts if gone unchecked.
Regardless of a worker’s duties on the barge, by the end of this tankerman course, they should have a comprehensive understanding of the components that make up a VCS. With this knowledge, your personnel can keep themselves and others safe from potentially harmful vapors.
Recognizing Cargo Transfer Hazards
Though it is not always the case, disasters are often avoidable if all personnel follow the proper steps and take the proper precautions. Our tankerman course makes it a priority to educate students about dangers they may face and how to prevent accidents before they happen.
Vapor control can introduce hazards that may be present during transfers. In this course, we identify the conditions that can cause a hazardous outcome:
- Excessive cargo tank pressure
- Loading cargo too quickly
- Improper cargo hose clearing
- Facility pipeline pigging
- Valves remaining improperly closed or opened
This tankerman training also teaches workers how to consciously avoid hazardous conditions during the process of transferring:
- Do not load the cargo too quickly.
- Ensure cargo hoses or arms are properly connected to the vapor header.
- Use caution during the cargo load startup to keep a safe flow rate to avoid tank explosion from static discharge.
Performing Proper Transfer Preparation
A successful transfer depends on proper communication and inspection. In this section of our USCG vapor course, tankermen and other workers learn about the proper documentation that must be followed to ensure inspection of the system has been completed, as well as the personnel that must be in agreement before a transfer can begin.
Improve Your Maritime Training with Our LMS
You need a system that’s going to keep your crew and tankerman training procedures running smoothly. By using our Learning Management System (LMS), you will be able to keep your employees safe and your company compliant with the law.
Our LMS is flexible, it’s customizable, and it makes your record keeping organized and efficient. Here are some of the top features of our LMS:
- Custom course assignments: By subscribing to our LMS, you gain access to every training course in our huge library of content. If that’s not enough, we also offer custom course and content development, so our training can fit your every need. You can also assign courses to workers based on job titles or roles.
- Easy-to-use interface: Our interface is easy to use for employees and employers alike. Our LMS can also send workers reminders to ensure they are completing their training sessions.
- Powerful tracking tools: Access the training history of your employees, their competency progression, and a scheduling program to meet compliance requirements.
- Easy reporting: Take advantage of custom reports to stay on track of your data, manage audits with advanced compliance tracking, and transfer training data to the appropriate databases.
- Access online or offline: Every day of the year, whenever you and your employees are ready, our training programs are available to you online, offline, and on the go with mobile technology.
Improve your company’s efficiency and your employees’ safety today with our LMS.
Demo Moxie’s Vapor Control Tankerman Course for Free!
Want to see firsthand how our tankerman course can keep your personnel and the environment safe from hazardous vapor, while abiding by USCG vapor course requirements? Request a free demo of our tankerman training course!